February Baby Sweater



Those of you not into knitting may not know Elizabeth Zimmerman. But for many knitters, both beginners and experts, Elizabeth Zimmerman is something akin to a knitting God. She was a very instinctive and intuitive knitter, and taught a lot of students to be so. She wrote a great number of books, among them Knitting Without Tears, Knitter's Almanac, and The Opinionated Knitter, all of which can be found here.

One of her most popular patterns is the February Baby Sweater, from Knitter's Almanac. There are so many beautiful examples of it that can be seen here. The pattern takes up just 2 paragraphs, so there was quite a bit to decipher. To be honest, I don't even know if I knitted the sweater the right way (alas, I added buttonholes after the yoke, not during like I was supposed to--but then again, Elizabeth doesn't mention buttonholes until it was too late). I'm not around babies, so I had no idea how long to make the body and the sleeves.


It turned out quite a bit bigger than I expected, but then this is mainly because I used a US7 needle size. The little girl that it's for, a friend's daughter named Charlotte, will have to grow into it. Hopefully it doesn't fit her in a freakish way....

No comments:

Post a Comment